My sister-in-law, a fabulous cook introduced me to a whole new world! She fondly shared easy to follow instructions and demonstrated that eggless baking can be an enticing and enjoyable experience!
If any of are one of those who cannot eat eggs due to health reasons, religious restrictions or personal preference like me, there’s plenty of delightful options! Yesterday, we tried Jalapeno Cheddar Bread – a soft, tender-but-sturdy-enough-for-sandwiches bread with a cap of melted, crisped Cheddar cheese. Under that beautiful, golden brown top is bread that was splurged with thin slices of fresh jalapeno and more Cheddar cheese that melts into the loaf as it bakes. It’s hard to find a better bread to serve with soups and salads, but it makes magnificent toast for sandwiches as well.
This irregularly shaped, studded with jalapeno rounds peeking out from under a generous cover of melted and crisped Cheddar cheese, Jalapeno Cheddar Bread is a thing of beauty. Here’s the recipe for all to enjoy and try home baking!
- 4 cups bread flour 1 pound, 1 ounce, by weight
- 3 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar(or as desired)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups lukewarm water 16 ounces, by weight or volume
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 ounces extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 small to medium sized fresh jalapeno peppers sliced into 1/8-inch thick rounds
- Add all ingredients except the toppings to a large mixing bowl and stir together with a sturdy wooden spoon until you form a shaggy but cohesive dough. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes, covered with a clean towel. Turn out onto a lightly floured counter top and knead until smooth and elastic, about 20 minutes. Transfer dough to a clean bowl, cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about an hour.
Can’t wait to try out the other fantastic, eggless spicy bread options! Here’s to happy baking!